Trubs appears to have some sort of trouble with her mouth or tongue or throat. Yesterday she stopped eating and drinking completely. She wanted food and water, but had difficulty getting them in her mouth. She was in a lot of distress last night. We gave her a large dose of the metacam and then spent the evening cuddling her, holding her, grooming her, carrying her outside and then back in again trying to calm her down …
Mum said it was like spending time with a colicky baby who was in pain and there was similarly little we could do ….
Trubs spent the night curled up with me in my bed. We both slept in fits and starts with a couple of trips out for her to try to drink again.
This morning I thought we had a breakthrough – after I struggled to get some water down her throat with a syringe, she stumbled to the water-glass and lapped up at least a half cup of water herself and then lay down again.
Unfortunately that was the last time she could walk unaided. When she tried to move again an hour later, she couldn’t walk. Her back legs just wont support her anymore. I made a slurry out of some tuna and warm water and managed to syringe a tablespoon or so into the back of her mouth before she started spitting it out.
She then laid back down and hasn’t moved since. That was a couple of hours ago. She hasn’t purred since either. I don’t think she is going to last until the vets open tomorrow morning or if she does, it may well be a one way trip.
If what is wrong with her requires surgery or even just anaesthesia, the vets will recommend euthanasia as I had been advised weeks ago that she was already too weak to survive either procedure.
She’s lost another kilo of weight this week, so she’s down under two kilos (4 pounds now). She is literally skin and bones. Her fur sticks out in all directions because her bones do. As of yesterday, she also carries a bad smell with her. That could be from a mouth abscess or it could be from something much worse. We may find out from the vets tomorrow if we can keep her alive long enough.
Or she may not last that long.
Right now she is quiet on her cushion near the fire. Her ears flicker and her eyes open when we say her name or stroke her, but that’s all the response we get. I don’t know if she comfortable or simply worn out.
Either way THAT decision is no decision at all.
Update – as I was about to hit send on this post, Trubs did struggle to sit up, so I took her outside into the sun for a half hour or so to warm her bones. I took the above photo at that time. She seemed to enjoy her time out there, but I could not coax any purr out of her 😦